BCE Executive Director Job Description
Title: Executive Director
Classifications: Full Time, Salaried, Benefits
Reports To: Baptist Center for Ethics Board of Directors
A PDF version of the job description is available here.
The Executive Director of the Baptist Center for Ethics -- a 501(c)(3) registered in the state of Tennessee -- is ultimately responsible for leading the free-standing organization to challenge people of faith to advance the common good. The job of the Executive Director includes administration, development, public imaging and media engagement. The Executive Director reports to BCE's board of directors and supervises a small staff engaged in producing media resources for faith-based communities.
- Leads both short-term and long-term visioning for the organization.
- Communicates consistently and frequently with and in churches and faith-based communities on matters of the common good.
- Increases the public profile of the organization in a manner consistent with "goodwill Baptists."
- Collaborates with partner organizations, initiatives and people working to advance the common good.
- Engages development work consistently and frequently, including maintaining relationships with existing donors and cultivating new relationships.
- Assumes responsibility for all financial matters of the organization (aided by a contracted administrative and financial services firm).
- Coordinates the preparation and presentation of the annual budget to BCE board and staff.
- Oversees and supports full-time and part-time staff engaged in producing resources.
- Ensures timely review of wage and salary structures, personnel practices and other human-resource tasks.
- Coordinates an in-person annual board/staff meeting.
- Travels to conferences, gatherings and speaking engagements as needed.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of BCE's financial and human resources information.
- Keeps a virtual office.
- An advanced degree in related field. Related fields may include, but are not limited to, ethics, business, theology, education and communication.
- Five years of work experience in a faith-related organization or institution. Previous organizations or institutions may include, but are not limited to, churches, non-profits, colleges and universities.
- Successful development and fundraising experience.
- Managerial/supervisory experience.
- A long-term, active membership in a Baptist church. BCE by-laws state that the executive director must be a Baptist. A deep knowledge of Baptist churches, networks and traditions is required. Involvement in national or international Baptist entities is a plus.
- Proficiency in computer skills (e.g. Word, Excel, Google).
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- An entrepreneurial and self-starting disposition.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume/CV to BCE's Cliff Vaughn at email@example.com.
The cover letter should generally call attention to your leadership qualifications and your commitment to offering a goodwill Baptist witness in the world. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.